Friday, January 28, 2022

Ceramic Printer Video: Realistic Expectations and the Rewards of Tenacity

These pages are dedicated to introducing ceramic 3D printing to creative people at all skill levels and from differing backgrounds.  So, when I find a YouTube video that I believe to be helpful, I want to include it and comment on my observations.

First, let me say I find the vast majority of reviews for new products to be utterly useless. Generally, the reviewer opens the box, tries the product, makes a video giving their reactions and then sets the product aside never to return to it.  The video I am including in this post, by Nathan Builds Robots is a refreshing departure from that formula!



Realistic First Time Expectations

Clay is not plastic.  

Nathan could have edited out all of his startup hurdles.  But, that would have deprived us of the reality of using a new 3D printer that uses an entirely new material.  I really appreciated that Nathan walks us through each step including those that resulted in the kinds of failures that we need to overcome to be successful.  Not only did Nathan learn from those bumps in the road, we learned, with him, how to put them behind us.

I came away believing that I just witnessed what I can realistically expect from my own first time experience with a ceramic 3D printer.  This, alone, is enormously valuable.  But, how Nathan proceeds through his learning curve is even MORE valuable.

 Rewards of Tenacity

We constantly use 3D design and printing to emphasize the life lesson "Your Failures Are Not Final".  You can bet we will show this video to our students because it show how we can turn failures into success by using critical thinking skills to come up with new solutions to try.  We also use 3D design and printing to help students build "Resiliency" skills.  

Nathan's tenacity is a great example of resiliency in action.  

As we watch Nathan evaluate each printing attempt, we see him using the critical thinking skills that can turn that failure into developing a strategy to overcome that hurdle.  Nathan wasn't content to print once and quit.  He recorded repeated attempts over several days and every day brought about better and better results.

While he acknowledges that he has more to learn about the ceramic printing process, I look forward to future videos from Nathan as he continues to refine the ceramic 3D printing process.

Multi-machine Applicability

Another thing I appreciate about Nathan's video is that what he is experiencing and learning will have broad applicability across all of the new desktop ceramic 3D printers.  The quest to find the right clay viscosity, flow pressure along with cleaning and firing tips will be useful to ALL of us, no matter which printer we end up purchasing.  So, I, for one, have subscribed to his channel.  I can't wait to see more.

Nice job!  Thanks, Nathan!

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ceramic Printer Video: Realistic Expectations and the Rewards of Tenacity

These pages are dedicated to introducing ceramic 3D printing to creative people at all skill levels and from differing backgrounds.  So, whe...