Tuesday, May 14, 2019

3D Printed Ceramics: A New 3D Adventure Begins!

The creation of this blog culminates years of anticipating the ability to create ceramic objects using 3D printing.

I know that this ability, using FDM printing techniques, has been around for a long time.  And, I also know that there have been ceramic resins for SLA printers for a while.  But, for a variety of reasons, my personal goal has always been to be able to print ceramics using a powder-based printer.

I say that not to take away the value of the other methods; but, simply because I used a gypsum based powder printer for may years and it's my favorite of all the 3D printing technologies.  I'm simply more comfortable with it.

But, having said that, my first baby steps in merging my interest in 3D printing with my interest in ceramics will be with the Form2 SLA printer from Formlabs.  With it, I hope to be able to explore the workflow required to go from a 3D design in software to a successful ceramic object.

The big difference between what I am used to using, the Z450 powder/binder printer, and what I hope to use is the ability to FIRE the 3D printed output.

FIRING is a HUGE leap forward.  It adds strength and durability that is not possible with most 3D print technologies.  And, the glazing process that can be part of the workflow as a beauty and quality that is difficult to achieve any other way.

But, I am NOT an artist.

My interest in 3D printing of ceramics is more technical in nature.  I will be directly exploring the HOW of the process to help artists and designers who are better equipped than I to do this art form justice.

But, I have another reason to embark on this journey.  My life's work is now dedicated to one singular goal... changing the trajectory of young, at-risk lives.  At the YouthQuest Foundation, we have found that teaching 3D design and printing is a highly effective way to do this, as the students' learn critical thinking skills and realize that "Failures are not final!" resulting in a new tenacity to break free of their past.

I'm hoping that by adding ceramics printing to our capabilities, we can expand the long-term potential of our outcomes, including adding a potential vocational component for some of the students we impact.  More on this later.  But, for now, it is enough to say that it is an essential element of my exploration goals.

In my next post, I will relate how I began this quest more than 13 years ago, a why I am so excited to be able to start this new blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ceramic Printer Video: Realistic Expectations and the Rewards of Tenacity

These pages are dedicated to introducing ceramic 3D printing to creative people at all skill levels and from differing backgrounds.  So, whe...