Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Starting My Due Diligence: ComeTrue Powder/Binder 3D Printer.

This post is NOT going to be a review because I do NOT have a ComeTrue 3D Ceramic printer with which to conduct a review.  It is simply a public disclosure of my private investigation into a possible candidate for us to purchase in our quest to print in ceramics.

Nothing should be read into this report because it is the first printer I am relaying any results of my research.  It's simply the only new ceramics capable powder/binder printer under $50,000 with which I am aware that is actually in the hands of users.

So, far I have been able to talk with two persons having experience with the ComeTrue T10 full-color powder/binder printer and the North American distributer.  While this is not a wide swath of people, we have to rely on where we are now and that is a small user base so far.  Neither had the M10 version; but, if anything, one might expect the A10 version would be more complex and prone to failure.  At least that is my assumption.  Again, we're going with what we have.

Both contacts were in university settings.  One was in Texas and the other in Wisconsin.  Here are my summary reports

1.  Manufacturer's Background (MicroJet Technology)

The ComeTrue line of powder/binder printers is manufactured by MicroJet Technology located in Taiwan.  They were established in 1996.  While they produce a range of products, it appears that they are best known for their thermal bubble inkjet printheads, inkjet cartridges and "CurieJet" liquid micro pumps.  With this in mind, it makes sense that they decided to tackle powder/binder printing since all of these elements are at the core of powder/binder print engines.

That being said, one would be hard pressed to be able to intelligently evaluate the ComeTrue printer based on any information found in the MicroJet Technology web site.  Their dedicated site for the ComeTrue line of 3D printers, found at https://www.cometrue3d.com/en/ is a bit more helpful, it is still left up to the visitor to find out truly helpful information.

In short, in my mind, now that I know more, their web site does not truly reflect the value of their product and their commitment to a buyer.  That simply means one has to dig a bit deeper to find the gems and I was motivated enough to do so.

2.  North American Distributor (Super 3D Plus Inc)

The North American distributor is listed as "Super 3D Plus, Inc" in Calgary, Canada.  But, when you click on the link, it takes you to http://www.calgary3dprinting.ca/.   Confused?  So was I.  And, what was particularly confusing is that there wasn't a single reference to the ComeTrue 3D printer on the home page.  It's only after you click on the "3D Printers and Scanners link, that takes you to a page for a company called 4G Vision Tech, that you find the ComeTrue 3D printer among a host of other consumer printers and scanners.

I don't blame you if you think things are getting a wee bit sketchy here.  And, if I told you that I called four times without actually reaching a person, I wouldn't blame you for thinking me very foolish to proceed.

The good news is that when a real person called me back, they sounded like they actually knew what they were doing and had some very good responses to my naturally leery questions.  But, the best response was that not only have some ComeTrue 3D printers been delivered to customers in the United States; but, they would help put me in touch with them so that I could found out a real user's experience directly from the user.

3.  Current Users are Serious Academic Research Facilities

I hope I can be forgiven for expecting the user referrals would take me to somebody working alone in a basement that nobody could validate.  But, I was certainly wrong.  I was given 3 names from two prominent technical universities using the printers for serious research.  As I noted earlier, one was in Texas and the other in Wisconsin.  I looked up all the referrals to confirm their credentials before contacting them.  Very, very pleasantly surprised.

4.  ALL Users Reported EXCELLENT Support

My first question, of course, was "Is it real?" Given that was answered in the affirmative, I then went on to ask about reliability and support issues.  Every single user had nothing but great things about Rafal and Gary, their distributor contacts.  Moreover, they were effusive about the support they got from the engineering team in Taiwan!  This support even rose to the level of adding custom features into the client software to support the specialized materials with which they were experimenting.

5.  THE perfect Research Platform

These users were going well outside the normal range of uses because they were using the ComeTrue to experiment not only with custom powders; but, unique binder combinations.  If anything was going to stress the ComeTrue A10 it is the work these users are doing.  In fact, one called the ComeTrue THE perfect experimental platform for high peformance ceramic research.  That was because they could so easily swap out powder materials and use a mix of custom binders.

By the way, one is operating with powder MUCH finer than the stock material, which sounded very interesting.
 

6.  Parts are Reasonable. 

Because the supplier is in Taiwan and my own experience with powder/binder printing says things WILL eventually break it was important for me to find out the costs of expendables and replacement parts, like boards, that might bring our operation down.  The printer was described as relatively uncomplicated with affordable parts that could be kept on hand in case of emergencies.  Printheads, for instance, have a mean-time failure rate that is fairly constant.  So, having a spare around is a good idea.  Since the user relating this information also had ZCorp printers, they pointed out that the life xpectancy of the ComeTrue parts was better than the HP printheads used in the Zcorp printers.

7.  Tentative Evaluation

Since none of the users actually owned an M10, it's impossible to reach a firm conclusion from a couple of phone calls and emails.  But, I've not heard a single bad thing about the ComeTrue platform.  In fact, they only thing remotely negative was simply to point out that the print area is more limited that the old ZCorp 3D printers.  And, I already knew that.  While a factor in making a final decision, it's just one of many considerations.

Quite frankly, I am VERY impressed by what actual academic researchers had to say and I not only have a very positive outlook about the team at the distributor; but, the commitment of the team in Taiwan to deliver a positive user experience to owners.

If you are in North American you can reach the distribution team through this contact page:

http://www.calgary3dprinting.ca/contact

Ask for Rafal or Gary.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ceramic Printer Video: Realistic Expectations and the Rewards of Tenacity

These pages are dedicated to introducing ceramic 3D printing to creative people at all skill levels and from differing backgrounds.  So, whe...